Research at the Institute for Materials Discovery and Design is focused on both fundamental materials discoveries and translating these discoveries from lab to market.
Materials Discovery originates with fundamentals of condensed matter physics and extends to applications in nanoscale engineering of novel materials and devices.
At UC San Diego, researchers leverage world-class expertise and a suite of cutting-edge tools to create new materials—via control at the level of atoms and electrons—and characterize structure and function at the nanoscale level.
The Institute is working to revolutionize materials discovery in a variety of areas, including:
- Batteries, Solar Cells, Next-Generation Energy Storage Devices
- Sensors, Medical Implants, Biomedical Devices
- Therapeutic Nanoparticles, Small Molecules, and Proteins
- Biofuels, Sustainable Materials
- High-Resolution Imaging, Spectroscopy
- Bio-Inspired and Bio-Based Materials
- Theoretical Chemistry